Hmmm... That title sounds really "bleh" for such a great project, but I am still on my first cup of coffee after a very long weekend, so it's all I got right now! ;)
Lately, I have been seeing flower hair accessories everywhere, and I LOVE them! Seriously, isn't this fantastic?!?!
I made that, y'all! (I've only been home from Texas for a week--I couldn't resist using a little southern vernacular!) I love this! What I don't love is a $15+ price tag. (You all know how cheap frugal I am!) So I decided to try making my own. My cousin Veronica (she is super crafty and has a great little blog you might enjoy!) made me a really great flower pin a year ago, and I remembered that she said she just heated the edges to get her fabric to curl. Sounded easy enough.
To start, I cut a bunch of rough circles, all different sizes, from some organza fabric that I had in my scrap bin. (I should feature my scrap bin(s) sometime! It is like an acrchive of all my projects from the last 10 years!)
The next thing I needed to do was heat the edges. This part was a little bit of trial and error for me. I am sure that I could have looked on Pinterest or just Googled this project and I would have found a great tutorial somewhere. But, the truth is, I got the idea in my head that I was going to make a flower "right now", and I sat down with my supplies and just started experimenting. My first attempt (okay, my first THREE attempts) were failures. In my defense, I am used to melting the ends of the satin ribbons I use for tutus, and organza is COMPLETELY different! Long story short, I was getting the organza too close to my flame and totally melting the fabric. As in, black and crispy melted. Lesson learned. I decided to light a candle and just sort of pass the organza over the flame, and that worked perfectly!
I had no idea how many "petals" I would need, so I just made a lot! Typical Holly...
After the edges were curled, I started stacking them together. You could do this with just a few petals, or you can use a lot!
Once I was happy with the size and fullness of my flower, I took a couple of stitches and sewed all the layers together.
Then I took some of my vintage pearls and beads and attached them to the flower. I was going to sew them on, but I didn't like the way they were laying, so, hot glue to the rescue! Someone should check the archives and see if I have ever completed a project without hot glue...;)
I loved this little clip so much, that I ran over to Jo-Ann and picked up a few more colors of the organza fabric, and, in typical Holly-fashion, I made a clip in every color. What can I say? I know what I like, and on this day, it was DIY flower hair accessories!!! ;)
I like to use single prong alligator clips for my hair accessories, and I, again!, used hot clue to secure them.
I finished these beauties the day before I left for Texas. I should have been packing, but I was waiting on some laundry to dry, so I decided to do a little photo shoot. Check it out:
I have found that these clips are perfect for when I've been at the pool all day and have ridiculous hair! I just pull it back into a messy pony, add a flower, and I instantly look like I tried a little harder. ;)
Or when I'm going out for dinner and want something a little different. I like the low, side-pony with a flower. My gal Sarah says the side pony is frightening and reminds her of the 80's. She's right, but I wore it anyway. I liked the 80's!
And sometimes I just want to add a flower to spice up my plain locks.
The other day, I wore a bun and placed a couple of the flowers together. And Mo loves to wear them, too! I have had so much fun with these little clips--I think I need an intervention! ;)
If you try these out, send me a message and let me know what you think! Better yet, send me a pic and I'll post it here!
Praying you are all well and enjoying the Son!