I love to change things up, decor-wise, but I do not have the extra cash to purchase such trivial items! As a result, I often just repurpose previous projects to fit my current mood/style/project/whatever. For this project, I used a couple canvases that I had in my "to be made into something fabulous" pile.
For this project, you will need:
A canvas, any size
Book pages (or newspaper, or magazine pages, etc.)
I had everything on hand, except the vinyl letters that I purchased at Michael's for about $4.
***I ended up using the smaller canvas (left over from a play room at Gma's house) for another project that I am DYING to show you, but I am going to keep it mostly under wraps for a bit longer. I say "mostly" under wraps, beause if you follow my on FB, you got a sneak peek at something new I am working on! Anyhow, you won't see anymore of the smaller canvas in this post!
I very quickly, almost haphazardly, attached the book pages to the canvas. I used hot glue, but you could use anything. Tape. Elmer's. Anything.
Then I chose a word and "measured" it out. Again, I am using a very loose interpretation of "measured". It was more like "eye-balled"...
Once I got all the letters attached, I thought it looked really fantastic just as it was!
Then I remembered that I was using book pages from a romance novel that I purchased from GoodWill. (I feel the need to say that I did NOT purchase the romance novel to read, but to use the pages on a project! Whenever I am at GoodWill, which is often!, I almost always pick up a book! I love to use book pages, and you can find some really yellowed pages at GoodWill! And you cannot beat the price! ;) Anyhow, I decided that I had better scan the pages and see if there was anything that jumped off the pages at me. My scan went something like this, "Blah blah inappropriate. Blah blah offensive. Blah blah FOR SHAME! Blah blah YIKES! INAPPROPRIATE! HOLY MOLEY! SERIOUSLY?!" Yeah...I decided it needed to be painted, for sure!, and I made a mental note to pay attention to the book pages I use in the future if I intend to leave them uncovered!
I brushed on a light coat of acrylic paint--just enough to obscure most of the text! ;)
When it was dry, I peeled off the letters. I forgot to take pics of the first piece, so I am switching it up here! I made two at the same time, and I apparently forgot which one I was taking pics of! Oops! I am sure you can get the idea!
The paint looked really flat, so I added a bit of distress ink to give the piece some more texture. I also Mod Podge the entire piece. I did this mainly because the letters were very sticky, as you can see in the above picture, and I didn't want dust to settle onto my "new" art work!
I love how they turned out, and I love that I was able to change things up for very little money!
Have a blessed day, my friends! Enjoy the Son!