Hey there! I am beyond blessed to be the wife of Mark Andrew and the stay-at-home-mommy of Quinn and Morgan! I love to decorate, create things, and generally make life more beautiful! Come join me, and let's see what we can make today!

Follow Me on Pinterest

Find Previous Projects:

Featured Favorites:
Faux Fireplace

Bustle Dress

Hyperemesis(HG)

DIY Tutu

Boys Room Makeover

Glazed Cabinets

Hidden Section
« Tuesday Tips and Recipes #9 | Main | Mantles »
Friday
Jan242014

LOVE board

I posted this teaser yesterday, and many of you were excited to see the final product.

Teaser

Final

Back in May of 2013, I created these numbers.

I was inspired by something I had seen from Restoration Hardware--for about $40 PER NUMBER!  That was not going to happen!  I loved the way my distressed numbers turned out, so I thought I would try another version of this project.

This project requires very little skill and not many supplies--my kinda project!  I tried to create a picture tutorial, but you know I like to ramble, so I'll give a brief (I'll try!) explanation and then I'll post the picture tute.

Supplies

paper mache letters - I got mine at Hobby Lobby for $1.25 each

burlap - I already had scraps of burlap on hand

paint - I used a red and bronze color that I had on hand

board - mine was a scrap that I picked up over the summer at a yard sale for $1

hot glue - I ALWAYS have this on hand!

Elmer's glue and scissors

I started by painting tracing my letters onto my burlap.  I cut the letters out, cutting on the inside of the line that I had just drawn.  Set the burlap cutouts aside and paint your letters.  I chose red and bronze, but you could obviously choose any color.  This is going to go over the mantle for Valentine's Day, so I considered using pinks, but I went with bronze and red instead.  I let my letters dry for about an hour, but they were probably dry enough after about 20 minutes--I was just busy with the ongoing wallpaper removal.  Ugh.  Anyhow, once the paint was dry, I used Elmer's glue to attach the burlap to the paper mache letter.  I was real fancy and squirted a bunch of glue and then smoothed it out with my finger.  (My brother would refer to this as a "low-tech redneck" method.  Eh.  He's right.) I let the glue dry for about an hour. Again, it probably was dry enough sooner, I was just busy.  Once the glue dried, I used a small craft roller (because I had it and rolling the paint onto the burlap is just much more "natural" looking") and rolled the matching paint color onto the burlap.  The difference was subtle, but lovely!  While those were drying, I attached some saw tooth hangers to the back of the board. Then I hot glued the letters right to the board.  I did this for two reasons.  One, it was quick and easy.  Two, REALLY like the size and color of this board, and I am not sure if I will want to use it for something else.  I have found that hot glue is pretty easy to remove from wood, so I figured if I decided to reuse the board I wouldn't have to work to hard to remove any adhesive. So, that's that.  

Here is a step-by-step picture tutorial.

 

 

 

I love the extra bit of detail that the burlap gives a plain, paper mache letter!

I will be putting up my February mantle by February 1st, but I have some other projects I'd like to try first!  I can't wait to see how they turn out!  In my head they are pretty fantastic ideas, but my vision and execution are sometimes totally difffernt! ;)

Alright.  My break is over.  Back to the walls!  

Enjoy the Son!

 

References (1)

References allow you to track sources for this article, as well as articles that were written in response to this article.
  • Response
    Response: Shanice Weisberger
    I found a great...

Reader Comments

There are no comments for this journal entry. To create a new comment, use the form below.

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.

My response is on my own website »
Author Email (optional):
Author URL (optional):
Post:
 
Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <i> <strike> <strong>