My sister-in-law has traveled all over the world. She lived in Berlin, Germany, for two years, and she is currently living in Singapore. She has a really cool, eclectic sense of style, and she always brings me really fun gifts when she visits!
Two of the many,many gifts I have recieved are pictured below. (Sorry the picture is so crummy! I took a bunch of shots and screwed up every single one of them because I forgot to check the camera settings! Lesson learned!) Anyhow, the picture is of a tunic top from Thailand and a skirt from India. I LOVE the fabric on both of these pieces. Unfortunately, I am apparently a bit...curvier...than the average woman in said countries, and these pieces didn't really fit!
I have been wanting to making something for Morgan using these fabrics, but I haven't been brave enough to try. Until now! I figured I didn't have much to lose, so I decided to make a dress.
I forgot to take pictures of most of the process for the "India" dress, but I will give a brief explanation of what I did. First, I cut a straight line from the top of the skirt to the bottom, ending up with one long piece of fabric. Then I had to cut about 6" off of the bottom of the skirt so that Mo would be able to walk. Walking is very important. Next I measured out the width of the dress based on the width of a dress from Mo's closet. After I had the right length and width, I hemmed the bottom edge of the skirt with a straight stitch, and made a seam down the side of the dress. Here was the result:
Really cute, but she kept tugging at the top. I was like, "Yeah. Mommy doesn't really do strapless dresses either..."
So, I went back to the sewing table and made some modifications. I took some yellow grosgrain ribbon and measured out some "straps". I just pinned them where they needed to go, while Morgan was wearing the dress. Then I carefully helped her out of the dress and sewed the ribbons where I had pinned them. It was cute, but it needed something else. So, I took a couple of pieces of ribbon and sewed them into an "X". You can see that process here:
Then I made some little rosettes out of a green tank top from the GoodWill pile. (My GoodWill donations are dwindling, but I haven't bought any new fabric for several months!) Here is a tutorial on the rosettes if you are looking for one. I hot glued the rosette right onto the X, and then I hot glued the whole "flower" to a pin. I then pinned the flower to the dress. (I did this because I thought the flowers would hold up better if they didn't go through the wash!)
And here is the final product:
The dress has a very full skirt, and it is GREAT for twirling!
Mo wanted to prove that the dress wouldn't slip, so she had to give a running demonstration! She cracks me up!
I am so pleased with this piece! All the materials were recyled, and now Mo has another one-of-a-kind dress! I am going to keep practicing, because I think it would be LOVELY to know how to REALLY make some clothing. For now I am sticking with my recycled clothing, but I bet it won't be too long before I am buying patterns and fabric!
Enjoy the Son!