So, I am laughing because I just checked last year's blog post on my Fourth of July mantle, and it appears I took a six week hiatus last summer, too! What can I say? Summer is so.much.FUN!!! I promise I will update you on the flea market and all of the other projects I have been working on soon. For now, I just want to share a quick tutorial on a patriotic, DIY T-shirt, along with a couple of shots of my mantle. But let me apologize in advance: I was too lazy busy to get out my camera and take "real" pictures, so I just took a few shots with my iPhone. Then I was too impatient to import full res photos, so all these shots are kind of "meh", but hopefully you'll just be happy to see a new post and will overlook the grainy photos. Please?
Let's start with the mantle.
It's getting late, and I'm exhausted, so just look around and enjoy and imagine some wordy commentary from me. Or just enjoy the silence. Whichever you prefer.
The pics aren't great, so that's enough for now, but I REALLY like this mantle! It's been fun to put together!
Now for a quick tutorial. I recently saw a "bow" on the back of a T-shirt, and I decided I would try to make one. I checked Pinterest to see if I could find a tutorial, and there were LOADS of pins, of course. Here is what you will need.
A T-shirt (mine was $3.88 today, from Wal-Mart)
A rotary cutter and cutting board (scissors will work, but a rotary cutter will be faster/easier)
The first thing I did was cut off the sleeves and the neckline. Just follow the seam, and if you want to take a bit more off (which I did), just move in about 1/2 inch and take off a little more.
Next, slide your cutting board inside your T-shirt. Determine how many "bows" you want, and start making slits in the fabric. I wanted five bows, so I made four slits. This part made me nervous at first, then I was like, "It's a $3 T-shirt that you will probably only wear for a couple of hours--not a big deal if it's perfectly spaced." So, after that self-talk, I just eyeballed the spacing and made cuts that were approximately seven inches long.
I forgot to take a pic of the next step, but I pinched together the neckline and the top of the first slip, and wrapped a small strip of the sleeve that I cut off, gluing the pieces together. I just moved down the shirt, pinching the pieces together and gluing a strip of fabric around them. Hard to explain in my sleepy state, but totally easy to do. Try it. It will work. It will be fantastic!
Anyhow, here is what the back of the shirt looks like. I tried to take a self pic, but...well...let's just say it didn't turn out. I will have to share pics from the Fourth next week.
And the front is cute, too.
Disclaimer: While some folks could pull this shirt off on it's own, this momma will either be wearing it as a swim suit cover up or with a white tank underneath!
There you have it. A mantle update AND a tutorial. Let's see if can get it together and post anything else this summer! ;) If you don't hear from me, I will see you in September!
Enjoy the Son!